NRHSN Strategic Plan
Future health professionals improving the health workforce and health outcomes of rural and remote Australians.
To provide opportunities and support for students to experience rural and remote health and to advocate on behalf of students and communities.
We commit to:
- Striving for health equality for all Australians;
- Demonstrating and communicating excellence, professionalism, integrity and innovation;
- Facilitation of professional and personal growth and development of all student members.
Given this context, the National Rural Health Students' Network will focus on three goals over the next three years:
- To generate equality amongst all health students specifically with regard to support, placements and incentives for rural and remote practice;
- To educate all university health students on the benefits of inter-professional rural and remote practice;
- To increase the appreciation and respect for the distinct value of rural and remote communities
Underlying all goals and strategies is a committment to the health workforce specific to the needs of Indigenous communities.
How will we operate?
The NRHSN achieves its aims through locally based activities at rural health clubs (such as Rural High School Visits to promote health courses as a possible career option, speaker nights, workshops, scholarship nights and social events), as well as providing a national position to issues such as Indigenous health and curricula.
1. To generate equality amongst all health students specifically with regard to support, placements and incentives for rural and remote practice.
1.1 Providing students with equal opportunities to interact with rural and remote people and communities;
1.2 Acting as a voice of health students for equality amongst all health professions.
2. To educate all university health students on the benefits of inter-professional rural and remote practice;
2.1 Providing students the opportunity to network with professionals and students from all health disciplines;
2.2 Providing a real experience of rural and remote community placements.
3. To increase the appreciation and respect for the distinct value of rural and remote communities
3.1 Stimulating interest in rural and remote children in regard to health based professions;
3.2 Developing pastoral links between rural and remote community health education institutions.
3.3 Being aware of Indigenous culture and enhancing the skills necessary to communicate/relate with Indigenous people.
Enabling National Rural Health Students' Network to Undertake these Activities
National Rural Health Students' Network must operate effectively in order to be successful in leading and influencing the key elements of the Strategic Plan.
• To achieve a high profile and good reputation in the health sector;
• To be responsive to our member clubs needs and engage them in the work of the NRHSN.
The Network works together to produce position papers to show the Networks official viewpoint and recommendations on issues of interest to the Network. To find out more go to the Position Papers page.