High School students
Welcome to the National Rural Health Student Network!
Did your local Rural Health Club come and visit you at your school? Are you trying to decide what to do when you leave school? Or do you know that you want to study a health degree?
The NRHSN provides information and opportunities for school students to learn about studying health degrees and rural health careers from current university students.
Why go rural?
There are many reasons why living, studying, and working in rural Australia is great. You have the opportunity to:
- have hands-on learning experiences
- practice varied and challenging work
- develop your professional skills
- maintain a healthy work-life balance
- be a part of a close-knit community
In addition to these great benefits, health professionals are in great demand in regional, rural, and remote parts of Australia, creating many employment opportunities.
What does a health career look like?
So you know what a nurse and doctor does but not so sure about what a physiotherapist, occupational therapist or other allied health workers do?
Check out our career flyers.
These fact sheets will give an overview of the profession, what they do, where they work and where to find out more information.
Can I meet current health students?
If you would like your local Rural Health Club to come and visit your high school to talk about
- what it’s like to study at university;
- what is it like to study a health degree; and
- to have some fun activities
Ok, I know what I want to study – how do I get there?
To find out more information about what training options, including additional scholarships and programs available to students in rural health, read our multidisciplinary rural training pathways resource.
New South Wales
- For information about rural careers for high school students visit NSW Rural Doctors Network
- UNSW Rural Health School’s Health Careers Kit
- NSW Health Careers in Nursing and Midwifery fact sheets
- NSW Ministry of Health’s Map My Health Career website
- NSW Health Training Programs information
- For information for students pursing rural health careers visit Health Workforce Queensland for scholarships and opportunities
- Learn more about health careers with Queensland Health
- Choose your own health career in Queensland
- Victorian rural ambassadors from Rural Workforce Agency Victoria share their stories of studying health degrees
- RWAV ‘Rural Health Careers: Explore the Possibilities‘ booklet
- RWAV Grants including resources for high school students
- Becoming a nurse or midwife in Victoria
- Western Australia Skills Ready